Thursday, June 23, 2016

The horizon


Something I really miss about my previous house was a view of the horizon from my study. I love to stare out towards a distant horizon and imagine the adventures that lie beyond it.

A couple of days ago when I was heading home from my office at North Ryde I stopped to photograph the golden sunlight reflecting off the mirror windows off an office block.

Today I see a crane being erected, which means in the not too distant future that sunlight will be blocked by yet another apartment tower. Already there are fences around the train station hiding the horizon behind red wood and stacked demountables.

With the view gone we turn inward and selfishly forget that there is a needy world outside.

Fortunately I can still watch from my office window the aircraft flying to and away Sydney Airport, the storms sweeping over the city. But even this is temporary as we must vacate within a few years, our land to be turned into more apartments for those from elsewhere.

And we will all be in search of other horizons.

No comments:

Popular Posts